Hi and welcome.
I’m a C# developer, software team member and blogger.
- Why I Hate Unit Tests and Why You Should Too – an inflammatory piece on the costs of testing
- The Brittleness of Unit Tests – first article in a series exploring some of the downsides of unit tests and their solutions
- NUnit ValueSource: The Complete Tutorial – taking advantage of NUnit’s Value and ValueSource attributes when applying parameterized testing
- The Data Driven NUnit Cheat Sheet – jump start your parameterized testing in NUnit
My Story, and Yours
If you’re here, you’re probably asking, “What is this guy up to?” and “Why should I care?”
Let’s answer both questions with a story.
I was not a rock star. I was stuck in the same boring software developer position I’d been in for years. I loved coding, but I was feeling restless. And I didn’t see any way out. Other developers moved off to exciting new projects or to other glamorous companies. Meanwhile I sat in the same cube doing the same thing I’d been doing for longer than I cared to admit.
Mentally, I compiled a list of the strikes against me:
- I didn’t go to the top school.
- I didn’t have the same detailed knowledge as the super stars around me.
- I didn’t have the connections.
In short, I didn’t think I had what it took to get anything better than what I had.
So I stayed put.
Then one day, this harsh reality slapped me in the face: “no one is going to do it for you”. No one was going to come along, look at my hum drum code and invest their time and effort into making me better. They weren’t going to come along side me and tell me that I’m capable of more.
So I started investing in my career. I started chasing my curiosity. I started evaluating my self. And I started giving back.
That process led to exciting new projects, promotions and a sweet software development job at one of the best companies in the nation.
This blog exists to help other developers make the same discovery and to give them practical and psychological tools to find their own paths to software rock star status.
Because you are capable of more.
So let’s become rock stars together.